LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

breakin' records

So, yesterday in the great NW was 106. That's right, triple digits. The locals are all screaming about dying, for they are unaccustomed to the heat. Personally, I am hot, but it is very low humidity (unlike Michigan's 90+ degree July/August, with 90% humidity), so as long as there is a breeze or a fan going to move the air, I can deal. I've been assured this is NOT typical, western Washington weather, but I am starting to wonder if my presence here has upset the weather Gods.

I'm kidding.

******************

I've been here almost three months, and I still have yet to meet anyone in the flesh I can call friend. I think I am starting to pull into myself again, and I am not liking it much. I'm slowly devolving back into the person I was before the big D, and I vowed I would never get there again.

Oh, but old habits die hard, lest we not stay awares.

So, in order to "pull myself up" by the proverbial flip flop strap (because here in heaven (or hell), we don't do boots when its >65 degrees), I've got a few goals for myself:
1. start volunteering at http://www.thehumanesociety.org/ the Tacoma Humane Society in August. They need all sorts, from care givers to "socializers" (meaning, play with the critters). I think I would like that; I miss my Cricket so much, and every time I see a dog out walking I have to stop and squee over it. I've heard so many owners of little dogs say 'wow, Flippy likes you, she didn't growl at all!' I'm the anklebiter whisperer, I think.

2. Find some likeminded parters in free pool partaking on Tues. nights at a local dive bar. I haven't shot pool since March, and I fear my skillz are going to be lacking. I couldn't care less about drinking, but if I see free pool, I want me some.

3. Talk to the N meister about locating someone to sit here at night once in awhile, so we can get out by ourselves. Not so much babysitting as 'making sure the house doesn't burn down while M. sleeps' sitting. We're cool, he does his things, I do my things, we all three do lots of things, but there hasn't been much his and my things, and I miss hanging out with him. Life has a way of eeking the free time out, and without M's gramma 'round the corner for sleepover Saturdays, we're overdue for "date night" or whatever its called.

*****************

And that is about it. I had an interview yesterday, at a printing shop for a Customer Service Rep/graphic layout person. They are interviewing about fifty people, and taking their sweet ass time with it, so if I get a callback it will be in 2-3 weeks. I got there early (because a lovely lady gave me a ride, so I didn't have to walk 1.5 miles in 100 degree heat), waited patiently while the interviewer was late arriving, and basically came up slightly short in experience, but ahead in train ability. I knew the difference between vector and bitmap art, but I drew a blank at RGB vs. CYM channels (and it occurred to me later that I knew that....gar). I know photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, fireworks, but not InDesign, although they are all the same suite now and shouldn't take me more than a few hours to figure it out. I have no print experience, but plenty of examples demonstrating typography and layout work on the web. So, in theory I can be trained for the print industry, but realistically they may want to go with someone who already knows it. We'll see, I suppose. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and that is your over used cliche of the day, mi amigas.

2 comments:

*mary* said...

Wow, that is hot. It's been rainy and breezy here for weeks it seems.

Good luck on the job!

The Snowboarding (and Crossfitting) Veterinarian said...

That is crazy hot for the area! Sounds like some good plans (although I don't care for the ankle-biter dogs ... I like the scruffy airheaded ones).