LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

So, the meeting of the kids went well. The kids loved Mr. Incredible. He had quite the time with them, tossing various child after another through the waves, carrying the daughter because she was 'too tired', and marveling after Jamie's lack of wearing out after four hours. He even sent me a message and called me a few days later; clearly, the live combat he faced prepared him for an afternoon of school children.

I met him today for a cup of coffee (we have that in common, a love of strong coffee) before I picked my kids up from their father's. He had some news; it is good news, but at the same time a little not so good. He is going to graduate this December instead of Next May. That is good, because between the missionary trips he took (he's an excommunicated Mormon), the army, the war, and other such things, he's been in school for almost eight years to get his bachelor's degree. He'll get a great job somewhere, perhaps civil engineering, or working for a company doing geomapping. Heck, he'll probably do both. I am happy for him in that regard.

Where is the not so good part? I had a plan (I always have a plan), and it was coming together rather nicely. First, we'd be friends. That was covered within, oh, five minutes of meeting. Next, we'd go out and enjoy ourselves whilst getting to know one another better. Check, check. Finally, with my feminine wiles (lol) and witty ways, I would captivate the heart of this person, who lives independently, works three jobs, still has time to volunteer lifeguard, and probably donates blood every three months. Happily ever after, and all that jazz. Shit, I'd even untie my tubes just to grant him the opportunity to be a father. This, of course, dependent upon his graduating in May. He's graduating in five months.

Five months?! Can that sort of deep, meaningful thing occur in five short months? After watching twelve years of marriage swirl down the shitter, I am truly clueless to how these these things work. Do I need someone in my life? No. Does he? No. Do we talk every few days just because? Yes. Do we enjoy each other's presence? Yes. Do we have similar goals, and views, objectives and enjoyments? Yes, and yes. Do we have a mutual admiration and respect for the other, and what each has accomplished? Yup. But five months?!?

Maybe I'm looking too far down the road again (I do that). I feel blessed to even have met him, and I truly do appreciate that he spends the small amount of free time he has with me. Vice versa. After we parted ways this afternoon, back to our drawing boards and domestic duties, though, I think for the first time I got an inkling as to how it feels to have the 'one that got away'. Usually its the other person thinking that about me. It sort of sucks, and I haven't really had a chance yet.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is all highly dependant on him, I think. Some men are scared shitless about the merest mention of a "future" and others... not so much. Of course, you have to be careful with kids, and it depends on whether he might be interested in sticking around. 5 months is more than enough time for people of our age (meaning out of 20s) to decide in most circumstances.