LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gar. Bah. Meh.

So, Hallow's Eve is day after tomorrow. I managed to find costumes the kids like and didn't cost a fortune. Both are pretty basic, son the elder will be a 'dark wizard' (black cape with a hood), and daughter will be a witch (black dress thing with a hat.) Son the middle was adament he'd be a pumpkin, and since there aren't any pumpkin costumes out there for an amost five foot tall, 90 pound 8 year old, I had to improvise. But, he seldom answers direct questions, and when he does I feel he must be rewarded for his efforts.

I am going as Wednesday Addams. Its a long story.

**************************************

Work continues to be so much fun, I feel I should be paying them for the chance. Nate and I have been getting teased a little, I suppose that is to be expected a bit when co-workers are dating. I went to my first meeting the other day (I think it was the first meeting EVER, but whatever). Pretty interesting. I made a newsletter template with which they were happy and plan to start mailing out next week. I've also been assigned the task of creating a myspace and facebook profile, and joining some ad thing where I click on links to get other people to click on my link (http://www.clickrescue.com) I have no idea why, but I'm getting paid to do nothing, so I don't question much.

********************

I saw Sweeney Todd last week. The play. I've never seen a play in person that wasn't a melodrama with myself acting in it (Of Moss and Men, remember THAT one, Alex??) The cast is just incredible....they act the story, while singing and playing their own instrument. Imagine, a young lady, playing her own accompaniement on cello, while singing in a beautiful soprano? While a tenor is singing a different song and playing his own accordian? Seriously, the talent is just incredible. I'm seeing Tosco in a few weeks, the actual Opera. And Nine Inch Nails, too. Talk about eclectic, eh?

Grand Rapids continues to grow on me. In a one block radius, there is a theatre (where I saw the play), an arena (where concerts and other shows take place), a multi-themed museum, gardens, parks, etc. etc. Older communities, with grand houses, older communities with the kinds of houses that were built by craftsman and feature built in cupboards and features that give houses character. Yeah, theres a lot of ghetto (and whetto), but knowing where to go and where to avoid helps a lot. I really like going there, driving around and looking into a city to which I've never been privy.

*******************
So, the election is in less than one week. I'm still completely removed from it. So, for whom will I cast my vote? Al Franken. Yep, he's the guy. Al's the man, will bring progressive ideals and a sense of wit unmatched by either candidate. Maybe I'll write in Slick Willy, bring back some of that 90's boom we all grew up with and for which we pine. Yep, I frankly don't care, and I know I should, but I just can't put myself through the whole really wanting one person to win, and the subsequent depression that ensues when they don't thing again (Kerry, I miss you!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol. I do indeed remember. Glad to hear that things are going well!! Are you going to move to GR?

SB said...

Whoo hoooo Nine Inch Nails!! That's awesome. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Big kudos for finding satisfying work where your efforts and talents are appreciated.

Al Franken is a fine fine choice. Here! Here! He makes me happy.