LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How do you spell fun? Not s-i-c-k

So I caught my first round of the school germs. Ugh. 10 hours of straight vomiting and other not nice things pretty much took me out for a good portion of yesterday (now that its after midnight). All I did yesterday was sleep. I got another 3 in tonight, before I woke up. I hurt, my back is sore, my throat is still raw as bloody hell, but at least the toast and water and coffee aren't upsetting anything. Ugh.

*****************
Work goes. I still like the guys, who are still fretting that their business that introduced a product three weeks ago will crash and burn shortly are getting a bit annoying. I can't blame them, really; it started in a basement and now its big enough they have an office and a list for whom newsletters are written, but sheesh...three weeks? Give it a chance, yo.

I did have my first 'uh, i said that' moment. I was talking to one of the owners about the website (www.clickrescue.com) The 'home' or landing page is merely a play button for a demo. There are links to other pages, but the main content is our logo and a play button. He asked me what I would do if I were looking for that sort of service (remote troubleshooting or helpdesk) and I said 'honestly, I would leave. I don't have time to watch a demo that may or may not tell me what I need to know'. The company that made the site is all about flash. The don't make non flash sites. Personally, I'm wondering what their ideals or design goals are, since the basic rule is 'if they don't see what they want or can learn who you are in three seconds, they are gone'.

So, after watching the demo (which is good, it explains the product and has a lot more links and descriptions) I say 'make that the landing page, just be sure to add a pause feature'. He calls in another employee to get his opinion, and its pretty much what I just said verbatim. Then, Mr. part owner says 'maybe we should make this demo page the landing page?' and other co-worker says that would work. I go 'deja vu?'

It kind of cracked me up, really. Shows how far I've come. Last year, I probably would have flown into a tirade about not being listened to, or gone 'but I said that!!' or something. He probably didn't hear me; these are the most introspective people, and i talk really quiet sometimes. My devious plan now is to get them to axe the flash designers and let me just be their inhouse design person. For $8 an hour. I'll let them think its their idea ;0)
*********************
Speaking of similar minded co-workers, he and I are going along great. We took our kids trick or treating together. His daughter is six. He thinks son the elder's tendency for dictatorial speaking is cute; he thinks my daughter is so much like his its scary. He makes sure whatever we're doing or he brings is something son the middle will enjoy too, and he finds him to be one of the sweetest kids he's ever seen. He's been the sole parent to his daughter, really, for almost three years. He doesn't say 'I miss you', he says 'I miss you guys'. Its great being with somebody who doesn't look at having the kids around as a downer or distraction to me.
***************
So glad the election is over. The only thing I heard about it today was my daughter telling me she was glad Obama won, because 'he was nicer'. I steered clear of news sites and discussion boards because I just didn't want to hear about it anymore. It takes me back to the days of Clinton and his dem controlled house and senate for his first term...and how the economy took off after that. Yes, the revolution of the Arpanet into the Internet helped, but there are so many things that could be revolutionized right now to get the same results....greener fuels, mass transit that relies less on gas or diesal, the possibilities are endless.

2 comments:

SB said...

Sick = Yucky. I hope you feel better soon.

Glad to hear you were able to make light of the work feedback while still making sure your ideas are credited.

Whooo hooo for nice dudes, er, dads. :o)

Anonymous said...

You deserve more than $8 an hour for your expertise, but I am really thrilled that you got a good job!!

And I am glad you feel better. There is nothing worse than being sick and still having to care for others.