LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Monday, December 15, 2008

I'd like to beat me some people.

I do not get my mail until well after five p.m. I live approximately six blocks from the post office, and yet I never seem to see my mail until the following morning. I find this ridiculous, for several reasons that vary in importance, but mostly because I live, say it with me, six blocks from the post office.

I understand this is prime mailing season; I am even understanding of that. However, part of being a professional, responsible adult is adjusting to stressful situations on the job, and handling them. Even with the extra package handling and the blowing wind, surely there is no reason for my mail deliverer to be more than three hours past the normal time? One should not have to travel with pepper spray and a flashlight to get her mail.

I ran into her this evening, as she pulled up to the box I was approaching it. She decided to go load two other mailboxes first (each 'box' has twelve mini boxes, one for each row of apts). I stand there, in the less-than-zero-with-wind-chill air, waiting and watching. As she approached my mailbox with mail for my building, another carrier pulled up (I guess to take some stuff and help her finish her route.) Three residents are standing there waiting for our mail; she tosses our mail into her truck, walks around the back, and stands there talking with this other carrier.

I stayed until my cheeks started to hurt and went back inside. It would have taken her about thirty seconds to load the boxes, instead of watching people stand outside to get their mail which she was dangling over our heads. I fully intend to file a complaint with the post master, and Lord as my witness, if mail doesn't start coming before the bank closes on a daily basis, I will not be happy.

*************
When the ex took the children to his parents' home for Thanksgiving, he let them know after the new year they would reside with him. He told them it was a mutual agreement between us, the children were looking forward to it, and it had been his idea, not mine. All points covered, and they seemed pleased and mildly surprised.

So, imagine my surprise today when I hear it through a grapevine that Bri 'took them away from me', and I fought him on it, but ultimately my poor parental skills were the cause of me losing them. WTF??

Wait, thats right. Since I'm no longer part of the 'clan', all I do must be bad, and I must be vilified at every opportunity, and nothing can be acheived without all out war. I think in lieu of a Christmas card this year, they are going to get a letter, asking them to erase me from their memory. I am not even upset, really, because upset would imply a level of surprise, and nothing they have done for years has surprised me. I passed along 'what really happened' to Bri, and he said he would straighten them out. And he apologized. Seriously....how many of you have to apologize to other people for the stupid shit that comes out of your parents' mouths?!

*****************
This is the third Monday that school has been cancelled on the 'offchance' of inclement weather. I am all for safety, but even the national weather service said the shock freeze would be hit and miss, and may not occur at all. But they chose to close school anyway.

I had to reschedule an interview. An interview at a coffee roasting/selling facility that comes equipped with an espresso machine for barista-ing. They want me down there ASAP to speak with them, and I want to do it. They need someone after January 1; I need a job starting after Jan. 1. So, I was not happy when I couldn't find a sitter at the last moment, and lucky for me, the interviewer is very understanding and said not only could I reschedule, but she was glad I didn't make the trip on such 'nasty roads'.

****************
Thats my list of slapping for the day. I've had good news, too. Nate had an interview for IT support with a car dealership that runs two lots; one is the luxury import dealership, and the other is a honda/toyota dealership. It was more of an informal lunch to decide if he is going to be interviewed, but he thought it went well, the guy with whom he had lunch was very interested in him and what he's done at other places, and N is a freaking networking genius so I told him to think optimistic. If we both find jobs relatively fast, that would be awesome. Neither of us likes idle time much, nor do we like being broke and not being able to help the other. He wants me to stay with him, and I don't want to unless I can help him with the expenses. Sort of a catch 22, it seems.

Did you want to smack somebody today?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, our mailperson was 5 hours late. And we live right down the road from the p.o. too.

I wanted to smack my boss, but after a conversation with my friend I think I understand it a bit more.