LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Feeling Better!

For about a week now, I have been feeling just generally icky. One day it was a migraine, and then it was my on and off again stomach discomfort. Nothing major, just whenever I ate ANYTHING, it would be followed by a feeling like my guts were trying to explode outward. Nothing helped....tums, peppermints, eating slower and eating smaller portions.

When I realized my current rotation of jeans was beginning to fall off because I couldn't eat, I did what I do when I don't feel good....I hit google.

I don't have insurance. And if I did, I'd still just use google.

According to Merck, Mayo clinic, and web md, those are the common symptoms of a peptic ulcer, most likely of the gastric variety. Culprit....bacteria, which causes lesions, which is exacerbated by acidic foods, caffeine, and smoking.

That makes sense. I've had this problem off and on for almost a decade....when it flares up, I'd pretty much eat, lay on my tummy until it went away, and carry on. Eventually I would just stop eating for awhile at a hit. I've decided to cut back on coffee (down to two cups a day, rather than a dozen pots and so far no headaches or jitters), drink water like a chick dying of the dehydration, drink milk with meals (skim), and MAYBE go to the free clinic in Tacoma (since I'm almost 7 years since my last 'lady doc' appointment.)

I feel better than I've felt in ages. I slept until 1pm almost all last week; I don't do that normally. Here, I wake by 5 am since the sun is already up. I move from the second I wake up, either mentally or physically; last week I pretty much laid around or dozed, just too tired to do much.

I remember the time when I had bacterial colitis for two weeks without being able to rest; I didn't even pay attention to the fact that I was sick until I began bleeding out. I recall hobbling around with my slightly broken ankle, chasing after three toddlers. I remember driving to appointments with migraines, because things had to be done and nobody [the ex] would get off his butt or out of bed and handle anything so I could rest, and heal thyself. Not all his fault, I let him get away with it. I'm just glad Nate isn't like that (one of the many ways he is nothing like THAT).

So, today with this new found energy, I: cleaned from one end to the other, made home made chicken soup, planted a tomato, pepper, watermelon, petunias, and repotted my mini rose (which Nate got me because I seemed down a few weeks ago). Now I'm taking an afternoon walk with the Morglet, before coming home, eating dinner (with milk!) finishing a site, starting a new site, and potentially breaking in a birthday present.

3 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I hope your dietary changes really help. Hope you feel better soon!

SB said...

It sounds like you've got a handle on things. Keep up the happy thoughts and practices, and I'll send some Go Get 'Em thoughts your way too. :o)

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you haven't been feeling well. :( I wish we lived closer so we could visit. I miss you!