LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh, the things we do when we are bored

So, today I get it in my head to do something I do once, maybe twice a year.

I did my hair. Seriously.

My hair and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate it, and it loves that I hate it. It is a jungle, a tangled mess of human byproduct that grows roughly 3/4 of an inch a month, getting thicker as it gets longer. I liken it to a brunette (well, washing out black with brunette roots) pothos vine that thrives in the jungle, until it has taken over, suffocating everything in its path.

A few (2) years ago, I gave up on my way cool, geometric, stacked bob. It got long enough to pull into a clip thing, and i forgot it. I also discovered that I inherited my mom's hair...as I get older, it gets curlier. Enlightened with this bit of genetic truth, I armed myself with some 'curl sculpting gel' and could seriously look like I'd done something with it in under two minutes.

Which is how I like it. I'm all about the low maintenance, yo.

Last month I cut about six inches off. Last week I took another four inches off. I normally don't engage in self cosmetology, but its pretty straightforward stuff. Besides, its curly.

Today though, I broke out the blowdryer AND the flat iron. I never do either, because well, its just a lot of work.

Half an hour to dry it. One layer at a time, doing it in three layers. Another half an hour to straighten it. Luckily, there is zero humidity here and very seldom wind, so it may actually look somewhat sleek for a day or so.

Oh, the ways we waste time when no one will retain our services.......

2 comments:

*mary* said...

I rarely do anything other than wash, condition, brush my hair. My daughter goes BERSERK at the mention of a hair dryer (or blender, vaccuum, and any other noisy appliance). My hair has gone crazy.
My poor neglected straightening iron just sits there unused, like a bad modern art installation. Sigh. Frizz.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I am all about the straight, flat hair, so I use all the products I can use. Frizz control, tourmaline ionic hair dryer, curling iron to smooth and put some curl in - and amazingly, from shower to ready to go, it only takes me about half an hour (I have my routine down pat).