LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Remember 'Meet the parents'?

Today is 'Meet the Kids'. To be more specific, its 'hey, incredibly great guy I'm seeing, meet my children!' day.

There is a myth that any savvy single guy worth his salt will steer clear of us Solitary Parents (because I despise what the term 'single mom' has come to represent); this myth stems from the belief that all a woman blessed with children wants is someone to be stand in Dad--free babysitting, a breadwinner, yadda yadda. In the dating realm, I am completely selfish. I'm out for my own needs of companionship and a life of my own initially. Upon meeting a potential suitor, the last thing on my mind is how well the kids are going to fit into the equation. It changes as things progress (or do not). After a while, it becomes apparent which fellows are going to make the cut to get to meet mine; those who express no desire in ever laying eyes on my wee ones typically become 'oat sowing' flings; the ones who ask about them and extend invitations for them to join us (should no babysitter be available) get to stick around awhile longer.

I've known Mr. Incredible for over a month now. I've spent some time with him, getting to know the kind of person he is, his character, things like that. We met at work and had a lot of common ground right off the bat; he knew within five minutes of meeting me that I had children and was divorced. He extended the invitation for a 4th of july BBQ to my kids, saying I was welcome to bring them with me if they hadn't gone to their Dad's for the weekend yet. I didn't, but I genuinely appreciated the fact that he would rather have three little rugrats running underfoot to still have the chance to see me than not see me at all.

I guess a good thing is he grew up with four younger siblings. And an older one, so maybe small children don't frighten him as bad as most. He is responsible and mature, so he understands responsibility and what that entails (thanks, Army, for instilling that!) He's an engineering student, so problem solving is one of his strengths. He hasn't dated much since moving to Big Rapids because I am apparently the only female in town who doesn't bore him to tears within five minutes. Mom used to tell me looks wouldn't get me anywhere, have a brain to compensate for my lack of the former, and one of these days I will thank her for that.

At any rate, I invited him to join me and the kids on a jaunt to Lake Michigan; he accepted within about two nanoseconds. I figure that is a good way to keep the kids occupied, let them interact, and stay cool in this typical July heatwave of ours. (Oh, and I get to see him without a shirt on. Everybody wins!) I'm rooting for a great day for all, but if at the end of it something makes him say 'nice knowing you, but those kids are way more than I want to deal with', I'll chalk it up to his loss and carry on.

Men come and go, but my kids aren't going anywhere. Love em or leave em, that is the motto in my dating realm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap - I can't believe your mom said that! And you, who were always the cute little petite flower! Shame on her!

Anonymous said...

I will be there starting Aug 9th. I definitely planned to get together! I'll get in touch as it gets closer.