LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Goings on

I have a job interview, Tuesday, for a position doing 'tech assisting' with the Big Rapids Public Schools. I have no clue exactly what the job entails; I think it will be mostly hooking up peripherals, trouble shooting hardware, and running/scheduling disk clean ups and defrags. Its funny, I got the interview because I wrote a cover letter explaining how I am really good at figuring out what I did to make something not work, that by default I am qualified for the position because I used to break so many things. The gentleman with whom I spoke said he found the letter interesting and wants to meet with me in person. So, the ratio of resumes to call backs is approximately 43/1.

****************************
I am almost all set with DeVry to start next month. We've been having fax issues for the last ten days, so what should have taken one afternoon has taken about two weeks. They are patient, though, and my advisor and I are now sharing inside jokes and exchanging chicken recipes.

****************************
My children continue to make me want to beat my head against a wall. I can't decide if son the elder is intelligent, but lazy, or really has no clue. It worries me a bit, because he is genetically predisposed to being a male who needs to be told every step to take, or he'll just stand there with no clue how to live. I'd really rather he not be that way. Son the middle is the love of his teacher's life, at least between the hours of 8 am and 3pm. She says he has one of the best personalities and senses of humor she's ever seen in a child in her AI classes, and this is her fourth or fifth year teaching that label specifically. The daughter is doing well, too, in school; at home, though, she is getting too big for her britches and seems to have this rather strange fixation with her brother. I suppose part of it is normal, they are at the ages where they notice differences in each other, and I don't want to stigmatize either of them, but seriously....short of forcing son the elder to lock the door when he goes in the bathroom for anything, she just will not stay more than six inches away from him.

**************************
That little poemy thing over yonder------> is being published. Funny, I don't care if the rest of the world reads it, but I want to throw up a little when I think about the person for whom it was written reading it. Strange.

*************************

I've decided I am taking a break from the active pursuit of the male variety. I'm tired of games, tired of creating bonds with people that will most likely be severed, for a range of reasons. Not that I've been searching that much, i usually just come across people that spark my interest and then decide that come hell or high water, they will be mine. But I'm tired. I think anymore, people in Michigan are, in one way or another, leading a sort of new-age nomadic existence, and since its not clear whether or not the state will ever rebound, putting down roots and tying one's self to another person is sort of asking for trouble. Even I can feel the transient vibe, in myself and pretty much all new people I meet, and i think that holds us back a lot.

*********************
I did make a new friend, of sorts. He calls me a 'hyper sensitive'. In other words, I pick up on the nature of others very well. I have had about three conversations with him, and we both may as well have gone to elementary school together, we are a lot alike and understand each other well, and he is a single father with sole custody of a five year old girl. I entertained a possible romantic connection for about six minutes, but have placed him in the 'awesome dude and great friend' category. Mostly due to the transient thing; he wants to leave as soon as he gets a job in TN.

******************
The trees are changing, those deciduous beauteous season predictors. They aren't quite as colorful as they should be, but we haven't much in the way of rain lately. As much as I despise winter, and the trappings it brings, I can not think of anywhere else I would rather be during October. The colors, the cool days, followed by random warm ones, the smell of leaves being crunched and the occaisonal fireplace being lit are representations. I am heading out for a mini solo trip this weekend, to see the vestiges of the maples, watch the oaks take on a different shade. Pics at the myspace, most likely by Monday, if you are interested!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the interview!!! That would be ideal for you.

And nice poem. I am no judge, despite the degree, but I liked it much-ly.

SB said...

Congratulations on the publishing! That is yayness, to be sure.

I love that you got the interview because of a quirky letter. Maybe 43/1 is all you need?