LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cross one off the 'to do' list

I have finally, FINALLY, been able to figure out that dastardly and otherwise sneaky program, Photoshop. Indeed, I believe I have its vile ways down pat, and with the help of the ever helpful 'undo' button, I have made a few graphical thingees.

This is good, very good, although I am currently working my way through PS 6. Which, is the equivalent of using, say Windows 95. I don't think it is wasted time or efforts, though, because most programs are backward compatible so once I get the CS 3 up and running (the next-to-newest version of photoshop available), I can put my basic (albeit crude) new photoshop skills to use and get that one figured out.

The biggest issue I'm having is all of the sweetest brushes were created with PS 7, or the CS packages, and will not even open. Ach, I really wanted to use the vintage postcard brushes for backgrounds, and make sweet blood spatter banners. I suppose that will have to wait. Formatting of my desktop is going to commence shortly, and after that I will finally have the super duper mamma jamma graphics making computer of my dreams......muhahaha.

**********************
It has been an interesting four days. I've been here in GR/Wyoming since New Year's Eve. I have one gig lined up making a site in exchange for theraputic massage and chiro manipulation, and I'm working on another for a band who is giving me tickets to upcoming shows. WTF? Four years of knowing how to do this and nothing; In less than four days I have things lined up. Those are pretty much just for experience, but there are a lot of jobs down here for an inhouse designer, which is why I need a portfolio.

I'm going to harass, I mean check back with, some of the places I've applied....Biggbys, Starbucks, stores and the like . I applied for a shipping clerk at a sheltered manufacturing facility (meaning its light industrial and hires physically and mentally developmentally disabled adults). That is in Holland and while it is a good half hour drive, I would love it.

************************
I miss the kids, but so far I'm doing okay. I will have them this weekend, and we are going to celebrate Connor's birthday on Saturday. His birthday is tomorrow; I will call him, I call them everyday, but not see him on his birthday?! Bri keeps saying now I can understand how he's felt, but I don't think it is the same. He doesn't mean that in a mean way or anything, I guess I really didn't think he missed having them in his daily life all that much.

Morgan has stated no fewer than three times in the last five days that I am not her mom. Not mean or rude, because she adores me, more or less I think so she can keep the two of us separate in her mind and heart. Which I find somewhat comforting, honestly. If she is willing to not let anyone else replace her mother, in job or memory, then I don't have to worry about my kids. Her mom is not a big part of her life, and the energy she puts out trying to stay in touch with her mom is not reciprocated at all (she is 6). I make her dad happy and I cook good lasagna, so as far as she's concerned, I'm cool. And I'm cool with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going well; tell Connor happy birthday for me! He is getting so big!!!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

The Evil Twin is a graphic designer and he has CS3 on his computer here at home and loves it. I need to find a graphics program for myself for just little things - I don't really need photoshop, etc. I'm still looking...(I was a graphic designer in my former life before I became "Mom").