LeighMo's bit of heaven (or hell)

This is my life. Seriously.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Not bad, but not great...just weird

After two years of living in my own place, paid for by moi, and sharing a space with basically the male counterpart of myself, I can definitely say this renting a room thing is a completely different world.

I am in the basement. I have a private in/out door, with my own key. I venture upstairs to make coffee, use the facilities, or take a shower. Otherwise, I chill here. On the computer, or sleeping.

The housemates stay in their own quarters as well, but are friendly and helpful if we cross paths. They worry about me, because I don't eat. At least they never see me eat. I don't eat in front of people I don't know....its a hold over from the eating disorder days, I'm sure, but I am definitely taking in enough calories to offset the walking four miles a day I have been doing.

Its just weird, to look around this beautiful house (40's northwestern craftsman, recently painted and floors refinished) and feel as if I am more or less an intruder here. Yeah, I pay them money so I can call a corner home, but that is basically what I am.

Its comfortable. I have everything I need (shower, bed, coffee pot). There is a cat that lives in the basement who comes to see me, so when I need a snuggle I can get it. I come and go as I wish, without being watched, and I live in a rather centrally located part of the city.

Our goal is by June/July at the latest to find a place; Nate is living in his own roommate situation for now. He feels the way I do....its more good than bad, but its not his own space, which he is used to having. We figure by J/J, we'll have money saved up (each independently, we don't do the combine money thing), time on jobs, take care of some loose ends, etc.) I'm on the lookout now, scoping areas and seeing what is available in a certain area; I'm looking at three bedrooms, because I want to bring my kids out for a while this summer. I think they would get a kick out of the area.

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I can see where that would be odd, but if it's just temporary, you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad that you guys are making some plans. That always helps.